Why Furnace Safety Checks Are Essential for Dallas Homeowners
A properly working home heating system keeps your home and family comfortable throughout the winter. It’s tempting to take your furnace for granted and assume all is well, but there are dangers involved if the furnace malfunctions.
Silent Furnace Problems Are Hazardous to Your Home and Health
Unfortunately, it’s often not immediately obvious when your furnace begins to have combustion problems. Your furnace may still keep your home nice and warm, but your indoor air quality may become unhealthy.
Even worse, silent and unnoticed home heating malfunctions can cause disaster, such as a house fire or carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. That’s why we recommend and provide comprehensive annual safety checks for your furnace.
What’s Included in Your Annual Furnace Maintenance and Safety Check
When you schedule an annual furnace tune-up with Barbosa, we make sure your heating system is running safely and efficiently.
During your furnace safety check, our friendly and skilled HVAC technicians:
- Inspect the furnace ignition system for safe operation.
- Test the heating system’s safety cutoff switch and control circuits, which includes testing for dangerous gas leaks like CO.
- Examine the exhaust vent to ensure combustion gasses are flushed outdoors.
- Check the heat exchanger for cracks using a specialized video camera.
- Clean the ignition system so that your pilot light works optimally and burns with a blue flame.
- Inspect burners and clean internal furnace components as needed.
- Answer any questions you may have about your furnace’s operation, including any abnormal furnace behavior you may have noticed lately.
- Change your furnace filter and/or show you how to change it between annual checkups.
- Report any problems found, or worn parts needing replacement, and repair with your permission.
- And more.
Protect Your Home and Family With a Professional Furnace Checkup
Major benefits of our annual furnace tune-ups include:
- Most importantly, helping to avoid safety issues like carbon monoxide leaks or house fires.
- Ensuring good indoor air quality for your Dallas-area home.
- Keeping your furnace running at peak efficiency to avoid energy waste and ensure the lowest possible monthly energy bills.
- Preventing furnace breakdowns and major repairs by catching potential malfunctions early.
- Extending the useful life of your home heating system with proper maintenance and safety checks.
- Maintaining your home comfort through cold Dallas nights.
- Providing you peace of mind that your furnace is in top shape.
Between Furnace Checkups Watch For…
Call for furnace service if you notice the following:
- Black soot outside (or inside) the furnace cabinet, which may be due to incomplete combustion.
- Moisture in the cabinet and on nearby windows (water is a combustion byproduct). This could be due to a furnace malfunction or blocked vent.
- Water at the base of the furnace.
- Foul odor, like formaldehyde.
- Flu-like symptoms experienced by family members, which could be due to a gas leak and/or poor indoor air quality. We offer gas line leak detection, so consider having your gas lines checked or repaired by our team.
- IMPORTANT: If you smell gas (sulfur or rotten egg smell), or if family members feel lightheaded, leave the home and call the gas company or 911 immediately.
Furnace Safety Tips
- Install CO detectors and smoke detectors (or combo units) in your home and test annually. Follow manufacturer instructions for proper locations for the units. You typically need at least one on each floor of the house, outside bedrooms.
- Keep the furnace area clear of flammable items, such as boxes/paper, paint thinner or other flammable liquids, aerosol cans, etc.
- Ensure room air registers are not blocked by carpets, curtains, etc.
- Avoid closing air registers, especially in multiple rooms. You may sacrifice healthy airflow through your home.
- Consider replacing an old home heating system. New systems are incredibly clean-running and efficient in comparison.
If you’re due for your annual furnace checkup, or have questions about your heating system, contact Barbosa Plumbing & Air Conditioning at (214) 351-7030 today!