Learn 7 Strange Noises Your AC Makes & How To Address Them
If your air conditioning system is working correctly, you’ll rarely notice it working at all. It will run quietly and efficiently and you’ll enjoy the comfort of a cool home without having to think about your air conditioner. So if you notice your air conditioner making a strange noise, it’s a sign that the unit needs attention and during the Dallas summer, it’s a sign you don’t want to ignore!
Keep your ears open for strange sounds coming from your hvac system & take action before you end up with an even bigger problem! If you think you hear any of the noises included below, and you have attempted to address it yourself with no avail, then it’s time to call in the reinforcements. Listen for sounds like:
1. Squealing/Screeching. A high-pitched screech from your air conditioner signifies trouble with the unit’s motor. If your fan motor or compressor has thrown a belt, it will squeal loudly. Call Barbosa to fix the problem.
2. Rattling. When you hear a rattling sounds coming from your air conditioner, it’s a common sign that a part or component has come loose. As the AC unit is running, it causes those loose parts to wiggle, which in turns causes the rattling sound you hear. Rattling generally means your air conditioner needs maintenance.
3. Buzzing. Buzzing sounds indicate the unit is having electrical issues. It could be anything from a simple loose connection to an imbalance in amperage that could pose a serious fire risk. Make sure you have a qualified professional check your unit if it starts buzzing.
4. Hissing. Hissing noises indicate a refrigerant leak. Depending on what kind of refrigerant your air conditioner uses, leak repair can be pretty expensive, so call us as soon as you notice your unit hissing.
5. Banging. Banging sounds are some of the scariest to hear, but are actually not too serious. You AC will bang when debris gets into the condenser fan. You can resolve the problem by briefly cutting power to the condenser and looking for and/or removing the debris.
6. Whistling. There are several potential causes for whistling, all of which deal with duct issues. From duct leaks to duct blockages, the best way to get rid of an annoying whistle is to have your ductwork inspected and repairs done on any issues we uncover.
7. Clicking. If your air conditioner starts to click the way a car with a dead battery clicks, call Barbosa for air conditioning service. The clicking means a relay has gone bad and needs to be replaced.
If you’re unsure of the noises that you’re hearing, but you know it isn’t how your system typically sounds, it’s best to call in the experts to evaluate, diagnose and address the problems. We understand there are companies out there that have goals to sell as many new systems as possible, and will dismiss your concerns until there is an expensive problem to resolve.
However, at Barbosa Plumbing & Air Conditioning, our mission is “Keeping Your Family Comfortable”, which is why our friendly office staff and expert technicians are always happy to take your call for a simple air conditioning system maintenance or service call. Unlike the other guy, we want to help you avoid expensive repairs and unnecessarily replacement and that is exactly why we vehemently advise addressing these issues while they are small.